Book Talk Thursday ~ Creepy Carrots {And the truth is revealed}

I really had fun getting ready for this Book Talk Thursday.

I am gearing up to do Easter stuff all next week, and I found the cutest book in our school library that is perfect for my third graders!  It is really not super Easter-y, but I know that they will enjoy it!  Plus it is a Caldecott Honor book!!
In the book Creepy Carrots by Aaron Reynolds, Jasper goes into the carrot patch every day to nibble on the carrots.  All of a sudden, he starts to "see" carrots all over the place, but no one else seems to see them.  Finally, he decides to take matters into his own hands and build a fence around the carrot patch.  The fun doesn't end for the carrots, and Jasper is pleased!

The book has a great amount of past tense words in it, so I am going to spend the week working on -ed endings with my third graders, something they struggle with.  After reading the book aloud, each day we will work to find and write words with -ed endings.  For Fun Friday, we are going to play the game "Creepy Carrots".

The game is simple as students go around the board to spell past tense verbs correctly.  Or it could be used to add -ing to words, whichever you choose.  It includes two recording sheets, one for -ed endings and one for -ing endings for use in a literacy center.  The best part ~ it is FREE!  Click here or on the picture above to grab your copy!

And, if you would like another great freebie for this book, head on over to Ripper Resources!  She has a great comparison activity to use with this book and Muncha, Muncha, Muncha!

Now, for the truth from my Truth or Lie post!  This was so much fun! 

1.  YES, I dated my husband's twin brother first!  That was how I met my husband!  Funny how God works!  My father-in-law always said I was going to date him next!
Father-in-law, twin brother, my husband
2.  LIE ~ I actually grew up in a town outside of Baton Rouge called Baker.  I always say Baton Rouge because no one knows where Baker is.  It was about 30 minutes away from Baton Rouge and was perfect for us.  I can't wait to go back for Spring Break and relive those days!  Oh, and enjoy the warmer weather!  Today was 30 degrees for the first full day of spring, and they are calling for snow Sunday and Monday!  UGH!!!!  76 degrees sounds like heaven!

3.  YES!  My son was 10 lb., 3oz, an d my daughter was 6 lb., 11 oz when they were born!  Best part ~ I am only 5'1"!!!  She is still tiny, wearing 18 months clothes!  On her first birthday, she could still wear her "coming home" outfit!!!!
This was Zack and Ginny Beth on her first birthday!
So, of the three answers who were correct, my husband {not his twin!} chose #2!   the winner of any one item from my store is Tammy from Mrs. Flickinger's Butterfly Oasis!  Congratulations!  An email is coming your way!

I will be in "George" Washington D.C., as one of my kindergarteners said today, with the sixth graders, so I will be back over the weekend!

Until next time!

5 comments

  1. I am so excited about winning. Thanks so much and of course I grab your Freebie. Excited to try it with my second graders.
    Tammy
    Mrs. Flickinger's Butterfly Oasis

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just had to reply again to tell you that after I downloaded your activity and looked it over and read it, I know that my students are going to love playing this game. You are so creative basing this off of that book. I am very impressed. Thanks again for sharing it.
      Tammy
      Mrs. Flickinger's Butterfly Oasis

      Delete
  2. I just got this book from Amazon! I love it, but have one student who may be a bit scared when I read it!! Thanks for sharing the freebie!
    Jenny, your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the photos! Your son reading to your daughter is precious! Your blog sparkles!
    Forever A Teacher, Forever A Learner

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was looking for your Creepy Carrots game as I would love to use this with my kiddos. It says that the link has been disabled so I was not able to download it. (: Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment, tell me your thoughts!